Guinea Bissau coupFormer Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan and several election observers stuck in Guinea Bissau. photo credit: sahara reporters source: Facebook

The sudden Guinea Bissau coup has left Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan and several election observers stuck in the country after soldiers abruptly announced that they had taken control of the government. The development happened just hours before the final results of the presidential election were expected to be announced, creating widespread panic and uncertainty across the nation.

Military Leaders Suspend Electoral Process

In a televised announcement, the group leading the takeover, which calls itself the “High Military Command for the Restoration of Order,” declared that the ongoing electoral exercise had been halted “until further notice.” As part of their control measures, they immediately imposed a nighttime curfew and ordered the closure of all land borders, as well as air and sea routes into Guinea Bissau.
The Guinea Bissau coup has not only disrupted the electoral process but also thrown the country into a tense lockdown. Recall that Naijanewz reported earlier about a coup in Guinea Bissau.

President and Key Politicians Detained

Sitting President Umaro Sissoco Embalo confirmed that he was already in custody. Speaking in a phone interview with France24, he said, “I have been deposed. I am currently at the general staff headquarters.”
He was not the only top political figure detained. The leader of the main opposition party PAIGC, Domingos Simoes Pereira, was also arrested by the mutinous forces.

An international observer described the situation as shocking, noting that “The man supposed to protect the president himself has put the president under arrest,” referring to Army Officer Denis N’Canha, who is said to be spearheading the military takeover.

Election Observers, Including Jonathan, Caught in the Crisis

Jonathan, who was in the country as the head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) observer team, had been sharing updates before the Guinea Bissau coup unfolded.

Shortly after arriving with his delegation, he posted:

“We arrived in Bissau this evening as members of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Mission ahead of Guinea Bissau’s presidential and parliamentary polls scheduled for November 23, 2025. We wish the people of Guinea Bissau a peaceful, inclusive and transparent elections.”

On the day of the election, he updated again, writing:

“Members of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Mission today conducted visits to some polling stations in Bissau as voting commenced… WAEF extends warm regards to the people and authorities of Guinea-Bissau and wishes for a smooth voting process and a peaceful, stable post-election period.”

However, attempts to contact Jonathan’s official spokesman, Ikechukwu Eze, did not succeed after the coup began.
But former spokesman Ima Niboro provided some relief, saying he had spoken with the former president and “I spoke with Jonathan and he assured me that he is safe.”

African Leaders Strongly Condemn the Takeover

In a unified statement, Jonathan and several prominent African leaders publicly denounced the military action. They said:

“We express deep concern with the announcement of a coup d’etat by the armed forces, while the nation was waiting for the announcement of the results. We deplore this blatant attempt to disrupt the democratic process… We request the African Union and the ECOWAS to take the necessary steps to restore constitutional order. We call on the people of Guinea Bissau to remain calm, and we reaffirm our commitment to supporting the country on its democratic path.”

The statement underscores a growing call for diplomatic action as the region watches closely to see how the situation unfolds.

By Mcken

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *