A dramatic political situation unfolded in Guinea-Bissau on Wednesday as soldiers declared they had taken full control of the country and detained the sitting president. According to reports from the BBC, military leaders also announced the suspension of the nation’s electoral process and ordered the closure of all borders. This sudden takeover came just three days after citizens participated in legislative and presidential elections that were expected to shape the country’s next political direction.
Gunfire and Tension Around Key Government Buildings
The atmosphere in Guinea-Bissau grew tense early in the day when the sound of gunfire echoed near the presidential palace. Witnesses reported that men dressed in military uniforms blocked off major roads leading to the seat of power. The nation, long familiar with political instability and repeated military interventions, quickly fell into uncertainty as residents tried to understand what was unfolding.
According to Journalists from AFP who were present in the capital, Bissau, observed military officials reading a formal statement at army headquarters. The soldiers announced that they now held full command of the state and were acting to “restore order.” Their declaration followed ongoing reports of heavy gunfire near important government institutions, including the election commission’s headquarters, the presidential residence and the interior ministry.
Election Results Halted Amid Power Struggle
The country had been preparing for the release of the presidential election results scheduled for Thursday. The vote had pitted incumbent President Umaro Sissoco Embaló against his major challenger, Fernando Dias. Many citizens hoped the election would bring clarity and stability to a nation often shaken by political rivalry and economic challenges.
However, the military’s actions abruptly interrupted the entire electoral timeline. By taking control, the soldiers cut short the announcement of the results, leaving the future of the electoral process uncertain. Observers noted that this intervention added a new layer of complexity to the already fragile political climate in Guinea-Bissau. As its trending across the social media below is a clip of it.
Uncertainty Over President Embaló’s Whereabouts
Further confusion arose when Al Jazeera correspondent Nicolas Haque, reporting from neighbouring Senegal, revealed that President Embaló’s whereabouts were not immediately known following the military’s announcement. Haque explained that the presidential palace was under tight security, with the presidential guard stationed around the premises and additional military personnel deployed across strategic locations in the capital.
Despite the conflicting reports and fast-changing events, one detail became increasingly clear: the military was firmly in control of the country’s leadership. The sudden power shift left citizens, regional observers and international communities waiting for more information about what would happen next.
A Nation Facing Another Political Crossroads
For many people in the region, Wednesday’s developments highlighted the recurring pattern of political instability in the country. While details are still unfolding, the takeover marks another significant moment in the history of a nation already familiar with coups and contested elections.
As the international community watches the situation closely, questions remain about how long the military intends to remain in charge, whether the electoral process will be restored and what the future holds for the people of Guinea-Bissau.
People’s Reaction to the coup
@ZoloRollo said:
“what side is the US and France on so I can support the other side ?”
@IronyManHQ said:
“Whenever a West African coup begins with drug lords destabilizing the country, it usually means one cartel faction just beat the other”
@HKallioGoblin said:
“It looks like people like voting, but that wont affect much how any country is ruled nowadays.”
@VZLALibertarian said:
“Isn’t this one of the African allies of the Maduro’s narco-regime?”
@SpirouAngela said:
“Coupe in Western Africa with narco terrorist backings linked to Colombia”


[…] In a televised announcement, the group leading the takeover, which calls itself the “High Military Command for the Restoration of Order,” declared that the ongoing electoral exercise had been halted “until further notice.” As part of their control measures, they immediately imposed a nighttime curfew and ordered the closure of all land borders, as well as air and sea routes into Guinea Bissau.The Guinea Bissau coup has not only disrupted the electoral process but also thrown the country into a tense lockdown. Recall that Naijanewz reported earlier about a coup in Guinea Bissau. […]